New York City NYC
May 4, 2017

The Decker Building As It Was

Throwing it back to the Decker Building at 33 Union Square West, before the minaret on the top disappeared sometime before 1944.

Designed by anarchist architect John H. Edelman in 1892 for the Decker Brothers piano company, this elegant sliver of a building between East 16th and 17th Streets combined Islamic and Venetian architectural styles.

Many years later, the 6th floor of the building would become the 2nd location of Andy Warhol’s Factory, the setting of many legendary parties and the scene of the crime when Warhol was shot in 1968. In 1995, the building was converted to apartments and today Dylan’s Candy Bar occupies the ground floor.