New York City NYC
November 17, 2016

New York's Lost Temple to Finance

Throwing it back to the old New York Clearing House, completed in 1896. Although the initial desire was to erect a building free from pretension, the Robert W. Gibson “temple to finance” was far from understated. Built in a sumptuous Italian Renaissance style, the Tribune stated at the time of its opening, “All agreed that it was an ornament to the city and one of the most beautiful structures to be found anywhere.”

In 1963 the Clearing House moved and abandoned its temple to the wrecking ball. The New York Times lamented the obvious, “Architectural Treasures Give Way to Stark Boxes.”